Saturday, September 27, 2008

News to me...


Just got a package in the mail from Clarian Cardiovascular. We went ahead and scheduled the procedure to get it in the books. As of now, it's going to be Tuesday, October 14 at 7:30am. We're supposed to arrive at 5:30am. Yikes! I don't think this is like the airports where they say to get there two hours ahead of time and you can get by with arriving 45 minutes beforehand. We should probably arrive when they tell us to. 



I'm supposed to have a pre-op appointment on Friday, October 10. 

However, we still haven't heard back from the Cleveland Clinic and won't until this week or next (they said it'd take 2-3 weeks for them to review my records, and they received them on September 15). 

We want to make sure we have all the information and make the best decision, but the timing may make things a bit complicated. We may need to push back the date with Clarian so we can hear what Cleveland has to say. Not sure the rules with regard to un-booking an OR, but I'm sure they'd rather know sooner than later. Let's hope we hear from Cleveland this week. Fingers crossed. 

The packet contained the how-tos, what-fors, and what-to-expects for pre, during and post-op. Most of it I already knew, but several things were new information:

• The kit contained two bottles of antiseptic wash. I'm supposed to shower with the stuff the two days before the procedure. Supposed to help prevent infection. It also smells like a hospital, so maybe they're just trying to get the patient accustomed to the smell. After all, I'm going to be hanging out there for 5 to 7 days after surgery. Sleeping on clean sheets and not sleeping with your pet is also recommended. 
• Another preventive measure to prevent infection is using some nose medicine (Bactroban nasal ointment, if you really want to know) two days before the surgery. 
• After surgery, my wrists "will be secured with soft cloth restraints" to remind me not to pull out my breathing tube. 
• I should wake up 3-6 hours after surgery. They will remove the breathing tube 3-6 hours after surgery. It could take longer. I just hope it comes out as soon as possible. The only surgery I've ever had was when I was six (hernia) and I'm not looking forward to this aspect of it. 
• They said I'll be doing lots of breathing treatments with a spirometer. I had forgotten this about my dad's recovery from his heart conditions. The treatments and coughing are supposed to help prevent pneumonia. 

The also included a DVD regarding what to expect. I expect we'll watch that sometime soon. 

I'm sure I'll learn a lot more as my jouney continues, but it's always better to know what to expect than to be taken off guard by something totally surpising. If you hear anything (or know anything) else, please let me know. 

b

No comments: