Saturday, September 20, 2008

Chronology

The chain of events (as I remember them)...

December 2007.
Dr. Charles Cornett, my regular doctor, hears a murmur during my annual checkup. He recommends that I have an echocardiogram to get it checked out. 

December 2007. I have an echo done at Community North. Results show that I have Mitral Valve Prolapse, leakage (regurgitation) as a result of the prolapse, and an "enlarged" heart (due to increased blood volume and compensation of my heart muscles). 

December 2007. Second opinion time. Went to see Dr. Gary Fisch, father of Adam Fisch, who is married to Kate Emswiller, who is the daughter of Phyllis Garrison, who is married to my father in law. (Did you follow that?) He did a stress echo (treadmill) and either at that appointment or my next (don't recall) put me on 10mg of Lisinopril (an ACE inhibitor that offers many benefits to your heart, including reduction in blood pressure). I don't have high blood pressure to start, but this was prescribed to lower it even more in hopes that it might reduce the leakage of my valve and reduce the stress on my ticker. The stress test found that leakage was moderate/severe and that I had an enlarged heart. 

March/April 2008. Went to see Dr. Fisch again as a follow up. He referred me to his mentor and professor at IU med school, Dr. Paul McHenry

May 2008. I meet with Dr. McHenry and had a stress echo the same day (recumbent bike this time). His results were the same. But the leakage was a little more on the severe side. Plus the enlarged heart. Dr. M decides to up my Lisinopril to 20mg per day. And asks that I limit my cardio activity. I had already stopped running on my own as a precaution. He wants to follow up in three months to see if the meds and the reduction in activity makes an impact. 

May 2008. Dr. M sits down with me and Juli to answer our long list of questions. He is awesome. And reminds me a lot of Dr. James (Grandpa) Garrison (Juli's grandpa). He talks with us for FORTY minutes...and doesn't charge us for the visit. Amazing. 

May 2008. I don't run the Mini Marathon or the Geist Marathon (even though I'm registered for both). I feel pretty bummed about it. I had just run my best half time in the Lawrence half in the fall. The mini is so big (35,000 runners), you lose a little time in the beginning weaving through the crowd. But the inaugural Geist marathon went around the lake, my normal long-course training route...literally my stomping grounds. I felt like I could do really well in this race.  

August 27, 2008. After a loooooooooong wait, I go back to see Dr. McHenry for a regular echo (no stress involved). The results are not so good. Dr. McHenry recommends surgery and indicates that I'm a good candiate for a repair versus a replacement. He refers me to Dr. Mark Turrentine, an impressive surgeon with great credentials. I can't get in to see Dr. T until September 24 (busy man). 

September 2008. After doing some research, I'm interested in having a minimally invasive procedure if possible and Dr. Turrentine doesn't perform that type of procedure. I have my records sent to the Cleveland Clinic. They perform the MI procedure there as the best cardiac hospital in the country. Find one doc who does the surgery in Indy (Dr. Coffey), and Juli calls his office. They are able to get us in for an appointment in just two days. 

September 19, 2008, 10:15 am. Finally, we get to meet Dr. Coffey. Very anxious and looking forward to "solving the problem." He is the answer. He is the guy who will be able to peform the small incision in my side instead of having my ribs cracked and spread open...ER or Grey's Anatomy-style. He is the miracle worker who is going to uncomplicate the situation, reduce my time in the hospital, and reduce my recovery time. The difference between the two procedures is three weeks (best case scenario for the Min Invasive surgery) to up to 8 weeks recovery if they open up my ribs. How in the WORLD will I be able to take off 4 to 6 weeks if I have to go the traditional route?? I have to support my family!? A long, incessant drumroll echoed inside in my 7 5/8-sized head since I first learned about the minimally invasive procedure, accompanying my impatience, waiting for my appointment, anticipating the answer. And the loud high hat that dramatically ends the drumroll was supposed to accentuate the answer I wanted to hear. But it was just the opposite....Dr. Coffey says I'm not a candidate for the minimally invasive procedure. 




No comments: