Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Kids, questions, and cab rides

The thought of having open heart surgery has prompted, as you can imagine, a lot of soul searching on my part. 

Why is this happening to me? What will happen to the kids if I don't make it? Should I write them each a letter to let them know everything I want them to know? What would I say? There's so much to say! Am I going to feel like a "new man" with lots of energy because my heart will now be pumping at 100%? Is there any way I can avoid crying my eyes out as they wheel me back into the OR? Or when I actually wake up from surgery to see my first blurry light of day??? I know the surgeons are top notch and that the procedure is successfully performed most of the time, but it still doesn't keep my mind from wondering...and wandering. 

Another thing my situation has made me think about is the way I live my life. How can I be a better person? A better husband and father? How can I be a better Christian? The stress has been pretty overwhelming, but I'm hoping that once the surgery and the recovery are over, and my heart is fixed, I can start focusing on fixing/improving other aspects of my life. 

Sure, it's the totally cliché, new-lease-on-life type of attitude, but it's my new lease on life and I'm going to try and make the most of it. 

That being said, I came across an article that really hits on the idea of perspective and helping others. It's called The Cab Ride I'll Never Forget. If you're jaded by all the corny e-mail chains that float around the worldwide web, you may not find this very moving. But I think it's a well-written, well-pointed commentary on life. I hope you enjoy it. 



1 comment:

Perky Gramma Teaches said...

Of course I clicked and of course I cried. We have that same "mushie" dna. Not sure which parent we get it from.
Never forget this new lease on life.
When cousin Mike died, I was struck with how so many people had so many wonderful things to say about Mike, now that he was dead.
I wondered if they had taken the time to tell him while he was alive.
I swore then, that everyone in my life would know esactly what I thought about them and why. I am going to gush my love in life, not at a funeral.
I also vowed years ago, to live my life without any regrets.
I am safely able to say if I were to go today, I have lived without regrets.
Sure, there may be a couple things still on my bucket list. But, when it comes to the important things...no regrets.
I just got off the phone with you!
Love you!